arrow icon

Payment Banks Case Study 1: Why They Got Licenses + Expectations

Post by:
January 28, 2021
Post by:
No items found.
January 28, 2021
Payment Banks Case Study 1: Why They Got Licenses + Expectations

Cholamandalam Investment and Finance has got in-principle approval from the Reserve Bank of India to set up a payments bank. The payments bank is expected to be a 100% subsidiary of Cholamandalam and expected to have a nationwide presence. However, the firm plans to partner with those who can bring technology or provide access to a broader customer base in the near future.

Cholamandalam Investment and Finance Company Limited is the financial services arm of Murugappa group, an INR 269 billion Indian conglomerate with a presence in 28 businesses. Cholamandalam commenced business as an equipment financing company and has today emerged as a comprehensive financial services provider offering vehicle finance, home loans, home equity loans, SME loans, investment advisory services, stockbroking, and various other financial services to customers.

Cholamandalam currently has 534 branches spread across the country and has a customer base of over 750,000 customers, most of whom are truck drivers and small- and medium-business owners. It would be essential to note that 71% of the 534 branches are in rural areas while the other 29% are in urban and semi-urban areas. Looking at the RBI’s objective of setting up payments banks, which was to augment financial inclusion by providing small savings account and payment services to the migrant workforce, low-income households, and small businesses, it is a no-brainer that Cholamandalam got the license.

Cholamandalam’s parent company Murugappa adds further value to this proposition. The Murugappa group ecosystem offers an even larger base of rural customers. It is estimated that the group together has over 3.5 million rural customers. Key customer segments of Murugappa Group’s other subsidiaries are:

  • Coromandel International: End Customers are farmers; the company has 7,000+ dealer networks spread across India, especially in rural areas.

  • DBS Cholamandalam Asset Management Limited: End customers are retail and institutional investors; the company has 200,000+ customers.

Cholamandalam plans to use both technology and its physical footprint to reach out to its prospective customers. It is evident from the customer segments (farmers, drivers, and low-income groups apart from SMEs) that they would focus on financial inclusion. However, the group has to overcome two significant concerns. At first, the group has no previous experience in financial technology and will undoubtedly have to partner with a technology provider. Similarly, the current customers of the company are low-value and low-income customers. As we all know, ‘payments’ is a low-margin play, and for small transactions, it would take a lot of effort and volume to make it profitable.

Create secure frictionless customer experiences using modern identity solutions

Join over 1,000 businesses that rely on Prove across multiple industries, including banking, FinTech, healthcare, insurance, and e-commerce. Contact us today.

Prove: the world’s most accurate identity verification and authentication platform

Trusted by 1,000+ leading companies to reduce fraud and improve consumer experiences. Contact us today to learn how you can frictionlessly secure your digital consumer journey — from onboarding to ongoing transactions.

Keep Reading...Read our latest white-paper on this subject!

Tap the button below to read our latest white-paper on the subject as industry leaders.

Accelerate your onboarding

Contact us to learn how leading companies are using Prove Pre-Fill to modernize the account creation process by shaving off clicks and keystrokes that kill conversion.

Create frictionless customer experiences

Get in touch to find out how we can help you identify your customers at every stage of their journey and offer them seamless and secure experiences.

Schedule a demo

Let our expert team guide you through our identity verification and authentication solutions. Select a date and time that works for you.

Schedule a demo

Find out how we can help you deliver seamless and secure customer experiences that comply with PSD2/SCA. Select a date and time that works for you.

Interested in more information about Prove Pre-Fill?

Download the Report

Download Aite-Novarica Group’s full report about Prove Pre-Fill, including a product overview, customer results, and how the product works.

Interested in more information about MFA?

Download the guide now to learn how you can improve security, cut down on fraud, and create the best possible customer experience.